After a long day of hard work, you come home tired and lay down in bed waiting for sleep to embrace you in its arms. But, all you get is a disappointment. Your body is tired, and craving for sleep but your brain just won’t shut down. Frustrating right? We all have been in this situation sometime or the other. Now, the main problem begins when a person starts facing this more frequently. After nights and nights of tossing and turning on the bed or staring blankly at the ceiling, when they are not left with any option, they finally take the help of sleeping pills. But, did you know sleeping medications are not meant for long-term use because these drugs can have drastic effects on our body? It is not advisable even by doctors to take sleeping pills regularly.
What Are The Harmful Effects Of Sleeping Pills?
It may be tempting for you to head towards the bottle of pills because you are desperate enough to get some good night’s sleep. But you don’t realize that for a moment of satisfaction, you are harming your body to a great level. These are some of the harmful effects of sleeping pills that you may not know about.
- Your Body Builds Up Tolerance: When you continue to take these pills for a very long period of time, your body develops a resistance to these drugs. In that case, you will have to take higher doses to get the same sleep-inducing effect. But, that increases the risk of the side-effects even more.
- Parasomnia: Certain sleeping drugs can cause Parasomnia. It is a state, where a person sleepwalks and does things while they are sleep-walking. People with Parasomnia don’t even recall the things they did once they wake up. This habit of sleep-walking can prove risky at times.
- Develops An Addiction: For some people, it becomes impossible to sleep without taking sleeping pills after they become habituated to these medications.
- The risk of Death And Cancer: Studies have shown that consuming sleeping drugs for a prolonged period of time can reduce your lifespan. Not only it does affect your lifespan, but it can also develop some sort of cancer.
- Allergic Reaction: Some people may be allergic to certain compounds present in these drugs, which may result in serious swelling of the face and can cause breathing problems too.
- Hangover: People suffering from hangover usually find it very difficult to wake up in the morning and may also feel very drowsy, dizzy or nauseatic.
- Memory Loss: People above the age group of 60 may face a lot of memory loss problems if they continue to take sleeping medications for long
- Behavioural Change: It is common among people to display traits of irritability, who are addicted to taking sleeping pills.
As we all know nothing comes without a price, for a good night’s sleep, these pills tend to take away the well-being of your health. But, no more do you have to face the threats of these pills. Our doctors have invented a much-awaited product called the sprayable melatonin, which is 100% side-effect free. All you have to do is spray it on the sides of your neck before you go to bed. And you can witness the magic spell take over you within no time. So stop thinking and give it a try.